Sunday, February 3, 2008

Remembering a GREAT Man





Quoting an unnamed poet, President Monson said: “‘Here and there, and now and then, God makes a giant among men.’ President Hinckley was such a giant – a giant of knowledge, of faith, of testimony, of compassion, of vision.”

My first memory of President Hinckley was back when I was at Rick's College in Idaho. He came for a devotional and somehow my roommate Kristin and I managed to sneak up to the stage, snag a few chairs and sit on the front row. I'll never forget the feeling of sitting in the presence of the Prophet. He was such a kind loving man and made all of us feel that he loved us individually. A few years later I sat in the front row of a stake conference where a "special guest speaker" was to arrive. In walks President Hinckley with his wife at his side. Again I felt the love this man had for all in the room that he spoke to. I had the priviledge to shake his hand at the wedding reception of my friend Melissa. I also had the priviledge to see him dedicate the Houston, Texas Temple and the Nauvoo, Illinois Temple. All were such spiritual experiences for me and special moments in life I will remember forever. The thing is you did not have to have all of these experiences to know what a "giant" President Hinckley was. And the love that you feel from him comes from the Savior, Jesus Christ. He made you want to be a better person! Thank you for all you did President Hinckley!

"LET US ALL TRY TO STAND A LITTLE TALLER, RISE A LITTLE HIGHER, BE A LITTLE BETTER, MAKE THE EXTRA EFFORT. YOU WILL BE HAPPIER. YOU WILL KNOW NEW SATISFACTION, A NEW GLADNESS IN YOUR HEART." President Gordon B. Hinckley

BRITTEN'S thoughts and memories of the prophet:
When Britten was two years old we had invited some neighbors over for family night. I said to Britten guess who is coming over for family night?? And his response was, "President Hinckley!" Needless to say he was dissapointed it was only our neighbors.

I told Britten about President Hinckely passing away and he was so concerned, he asked how he died and when I told him from old age and that he had lived a long time he then said, "well, I am going to miss him."

2 comments:

cyndi said...

Thank you for sharing that was so nice. Brayden went to his catholic preschool and told everyone that Pres Hinckley had died and he was sad. sweet and funny too

Kristin said...

I totally forgot about that devotional, everyone was so mad at us because we just put our chairs right in front! Man, what nerve we had! President Hinckley made a funny joke about "taking the chairs" if I remember right! He is such an awesome person!